Hot Tamales
Bret and the girls got a crazy cooking hair and ran around all afternoon, searching the Mexican markets for their secret ingredients. After they had their fill of the weird meat section, complete with beaks, feet, baby squid and mystery cow parts, they came home with their booty and set to work making tamales.
After 3 hours of chopping, cooking, mashing, and soaking hulls, they realized schmeering, rolling and steaming still lay ahead. So they switched directions, made chicken tostadas and rolled the tortillas for tomorrow. All I can say is WHOO HOO and thank you Rick Bayless (PBS mexi-chef)!! Bret has taken to his cooking adventures with such luck and skill that I want to kiss him and whack him with a spatula at the same time. His weekend masterpieces are quickly taking over as the best meals on the table. I don't know how I feel about that. For now I'm enjoying a break from the kitchen , but mostly its fun to see he and the girls (his soo-chefs) have such a good time planning, plotting and preparing their bounty.
On the CAT front: Bret has a job!! We're so happy about that! As many of you know caterpillar has led the nation in layoffs recently. His team of 7 is down to 5, but that was voluntary and they feel pretty good about the future. They work on future emission standards that required by 2010. Is may be the first time in our lives we are grateful for the tree huggers. Please squeeze a tree for us and if you find a lucky rabbits foot, rub it once for us!
The girls got their report cards yesterday and they are all doing so great! We celebrated at the Macaroni Grill. The Girls thought they were very fancy dipping their rosemary bread into the olive oil. After a delicious dinner we went to see Madagascar at the cheap seats. A perfect date night!
No comments:
Post a Comment